Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Assignment 2 (Critical Analysis, Shitty First Drafts, Zandie Smith)

"Critical Analysis"

From the moment I laid eyes on the text I instantly felt David's position. It's not that I had never been taught what a critical analysis was, but I never had any sort of formal training. What I mean by that is, I was never taught to read a story with a "critical" mind. After reading a story, sometimes I had a position, sometimes I didn't. If I didn't have a position I would make one up and hope the teacher agreed with me. The tips given to me from this brief essay will translate to a more critical analysis of future readings.

"Shitty First Drafts"

The first thing that comes to mind after reading Anne Lamott's Shitty First Drafts, is how young her writing voice sounds in comparison to her actual age(the book noted she was born in 1954, math would say she is almost 60.) I found myself laughing out loud multiple times especially when she quoted one of her writing buddies "It'sn ot like you don't have a choice, because you do - you can either type or kill yourself."

Reading about Anne, a professional writers, struggles in writing a first draft helped me find solace in my own writings. It's comforting knowing that you are not alone in your struggles and that people of all different skill levels struggle to the same degree. I found her passage to be both eye opening and comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment